Kootenay Paragliding offers Tandem Flights whenever the weather allows from May through November in the Nelson/Salmo area, and December through April at Red Mountain Resort. If it's not rainy, stormy, or really windy, chances are we're flying.
Your quickest way into the sky! Tandem Flights will launch from a mountainside chosen depending on the day's wind direction and local conditions. Both "Drive-and-fly" and "Hike-and-fly" options are available most days.
Fans of Nelson's own Pulpit Rock/Flagpole Trail will love our "Hike-and-fly" option from the Flagpole Launch: our cleanest, greenest, and most rewarding paragliding adventure. Re-live the experiences of the first intrepid alpinists who developed paragliding as a thrilling alternative to hiking back down the mountain. Now you can "run out into the view", ride the wind on the west side of Elephant mountain, fly over the city of Nelson, and land at Nelson Airport!
- Weigh at least 80lbs and no more than 250lbs.
- Be able to run, jump, and follow instructions.
- Be able-bodied and injury free.
- Arrive equipped with: sturdy footwear to protect your feet, a helmet that fits, sunglasses, sunblock applied, light gloves, adequate water, a snack, and clothing to keep warm (think 6 degrees Celsius cooler than the forecasted temperature, plus 40km/hr of wind).
- We have some helmets for rent at a cost of $10CAD each, but your own will fit best. Gloves can also be rented for $5CAD per pair. Work gloves, bicycle gloves and motocross gloves all work very well.